Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Plein Air Jaunt

Our Arizona Pastel Artists Association wants to try some outdoor painting trips, so several weeks ago, our Pres. Gary Binder scheduled us to met early in the morning at Piestawa Peak in north Phoenix at 7 a.m.  Traffic delayed me so I arrived there at 7:15 a.m., but the early sun was still in the low eastern sky to give us wonderful shadows on the rocks and trees.  Only three of us made the early morning rendezvous, but we had a gorgeous day before us and we were psyched!

We did a little surveying of the scenes before us, but it wasn't long before we decided to set up and start painting!


Gary & Dona set up just a few paces from me and it was fun to see what each of us had focused on to paint.  Here is the actual scene from my viewpoint:
I loved the way the Palo Verde trees twisted and turned as they grew and hoped to capture that look.

Gary took on a view just to the left of me, but I did not get a photo of it.  For 3-1/2 to 4 hours, we had enjoyed talking with hikers and dog walkers who passed by us.  We asked one hiker to take our picture to document our outing.
Gary's paintings are the two on the bottom, Dona painted two and I painted one.  From my earlier photographs, you should be able to discern which one that is.

I caught the bug to do more plein air painting (which means "outdoors, on site"), so I have signed up to volunteer at the Plein Air Convention to be held in Tucson, April 13 - 18.  It will give me the opportunity to meet and watch professional Plein air painters (over 30 of them) and then go out on site and paint on my own.  I hope to post more photos and paintings from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment