Monday, August 17, 2015

Murphy's Law of Framing

Even after making numerous changes in a painting, it seems that I still missed something that only reveals itself, AFTER I have Framed and Sealed it!!

Take this pastel I painted from our South America trip to a hacienda B & B south of Santiago, Chile. 

I was pretty happy with it .  It was an upside down "L" composition with the center of interest being the small vivid red flowers that receive shelter underneath the palm tree.  However, in the frame, it looked like a dark mass with no relief on the left.

It needed some light ground peeking through the palm on the left to create depth and a normal sense of the scene. 

So I removed the tape and the glazer points, and took it out of the frame ( a real pain in the ... , well, you know) and worked on the painting. 

I also added a few hints of close grasses to aid the perspective.  It felt better now.
           "Sheltered Under the Palm"
12" x 18" (Unframed).  Pastels    $395.    

No comments:

Post a Comment