Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Joy of Place Blog


Throughout my life, I have always loved being out in nature.  From traipsing though wooded areas, barefoot fording the Republican River in Nebraska; hiking in the Arizona desert and mountains, all have afforded me great pleasure and joy. 

My best ideas come these quiet moments and I have developed a love and pride in the land and nature's special monuiments:  the Trees.  As I have pursued an art career, it has become evident that I want to paint trees and try to express their "body language."  Sometimes they are majestic; sometimes they are blowing in the wind; other times they are broken down.  The happy little cedar stretching its haphazard limbs to the sky is entirely different from the towering, stately cottonwoods. The desert saguaro is a different story altogether.

As I take on this new commitment to post a painting weekly, I will share and try to re-create those magical moments when the light and shadow play across the land and sky.  My phone camera records these adventures and then I take them back to the studio to paint.  My work is not a reproduced photo, but rather an impression and feeling gathered from being at the site and looking at the photo as reminder.

Included in my postings will be the earth metals jewelry I make:  copper, bronze, and silver creations.
In the past year I have been enameling the copper in rich, glorious colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment